News Snipet 'Blog

 
PREPARE!
Do Something!
Find Elected Officials
Enter ZIP Code:

or Search by State

See Issues & Action
Select An Issue Area:


Contact The Media
Enter ZIP Code:

or Search by State

Other things
Find Affordable Care!"
Other things
EVERY GOOD FASCIST SOUNDS REASONABLE ON THE SURFACE
Friday, February 24, 2006
Image hosting by Photobucket "Suppose you were meeting today to decide who got the vouchers. First parent who comes says, "I want to send my daughter to St. Peter's Roman Catholic school," and you say, "Great, wonderful school, here's your voucher." Next parent who comes says, "I want to send, you know, my child to the Jewish day school." "Great, here's your voucher." Next parent who comes says, "I want to send my child to the private school that I've always dreamed of sending my child to." "Fine, here's your voucher." Next parent who comes says, "I want to send my child to the school of the church of the white supremacist." You say, "Wait a minute, you can't send -- we're not giving you a voucher for that." And the parent says, "Well, the way I read Genesis, Cain was marked, therefore I believe in white supremacy, and therefore, you gave it to a Catholic parent, you gave it to a Jewish parent, you gave it to a secular private school parent. Under the Constitution, you can't discriminate against me." So as the next parent comes and says, "I want to send my child to the school of the jihad." "Wait a minute, we're not going to send a child with taxpayer dollars to school of the jihad." "Well, you gave it to the Catholics, you gave it to the Jews, you gave it to the private secular people, you going to tell me I can't? I'm a taxpayer, under the Constitution." Now, tell me how we're going to make those choices?" Hillary Clinton CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE ABOVE?
posted by Jack Mercer @ 2/24/2006 01:49:00 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 2/26/2006 05:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not a question, by the by.

    Now go have teh buttsecks.

     
  • At 2/26/2006 04:23:00 PM, Blogger Kevin Mark Smith said…

    I like the way Neal Bortz put it: You intentionally put your kids in a "government" school? That's what the facists do. How do you think tyranical governments control the minds of their citizenry? Vouchers will disable the greatest weapon the libs have.

    Also, in Kansas we spend $12k per year, per pupil. The most expensive private school in
    Wichita, Wichita Collegiate, charges $1k per month for tuition. Collegiate produces brilliant scholars, public education only does so every now and then and when it does it is purely by chance and genetics. How can thinking people justify such waste and rob its citizens of the benefits of a top-notch education that only vouchers can deliver? Easy. They fall for the ludicrous and nonsensical arguments of the libs, namely, if you give private school vouchers the public education system will suffer. I say let it suffer.

     
  • At 2/26/2006 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Jack Mercer said…

    Hi Anon,

    We take all constructive criticism in stride. Any pointers on improvement?

    Thanks!

    -Jack

    Hi Kevin,

    I think the thing that is of note here is that Hillary makes the point that she has no confidence in parents rearing their own kids. Only the government can.

    -Jack

     
  • At 2/27/2006 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Smorgasbord said…

    Jack and Kevin, do you guys really think vouchers can work? I know you're fed up with apologists for our underperforming public education system, as am I, but how can vouchers possibly work nation wide? Please see my comment on the NewsSinppets dancing baby post.

     
  • At 2/27/2006 02:12:00 PM, Blogger Jack Mercer said…

    Smorg,

    I look at it simply in terms of competition. Performing schools would get the money, non-performers would die. Free markets work everywhere else to the benefit of the consumer--all of us know what monopolies do. Why is education any different?

    -Jack

     
  • At 2/27/2006 04:03:00 PM, Blogger Smorgasbord said…

    Because in education the goal is to educate everyone, which is where the business parallel breaks down.

    Like I said on the flooring post, private schools can pick and choose who they want to educate. If they still had that option under a voucher system, who would teach the underperforming students? What incentive would their be for a well performing school to drag down their standardized test grades by accepting more needy children?

    Speaking strictly from a business perspective (which is my background), if my business is being judged on the performance of individuals, I'm going to stock my business with individuals who perform well, period. I'm not going to waste my time, money, and resources on anyone except the very best. Where does that leave those who aren't the very best??

     
  • At 2/27/2006 05:32:00 PM, Blogger Jack Mercer said…

    I wasn't saying the schools should be able to pick and choose, Smorg...just the parents. Of course we wouldn't want to send a dumb black kid to a high performing white school would we--that would drag that school down...

    -Jack

     
  • At 2/28/2006 09:15:00 AM, Blogger Smorgasbord said…

    Yes. Schools can make those choices, but parents cannot. A school can choose not to admit your "stupid black kid" because that school might view he or she as exactly that. Of course, they wouldn't come out and say it, but they would have the right to cherry pick all the best performing students to make their school look the best.

    If you're suggesting the government force private schools to take everyone who applies, then that would help the problem a little, but there's still the other issue I spoke of in my dancing baby comment...

    The point is, I've yet to hear a realistic argument to make vouchers work for everyone which, again, is the point of public school - to serve the ENTIRE public.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jack Mercer
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile

"Snipet" (pronounced: snipe - it) is not a word.It is a derivative of two words: "Snipe" and "Snippet".


Miriam Webster defines Snipe as: to aim a carping or snide attack, or: to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage.


Miriam Webster defines Snippet as: : a small part, piece, or thing; especially : a brief quotable passage.


In short, "Snipets" are brief, snide shots at exposed situations from a concealed vantage point.

WARNING! With due reverence to the Bill of Rights and the First Amendment there is NO comment policy on the News Snipet.

Other things
Archives
Politics
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

free hit counter